It’s that time again…the time of year where the days are shorter, the clouds cover the sky, we lack the sunshine that brings warmth to more than just our bodies, but our minds as well. And even if you do not struggle any other time of the year…the blues can easily set in.
Recently I had a reader ask me what were some of the things that we as mothers can do naturally to help with the darkness that is so oppressive? While I am not in any way a medical professional and cannot give medical advice, I can share with you some of the things that I have learned about over the last few years that might be helpful to someone. Here are a few things that if depression is a struggle for you, you might want to consider…
- Check out your hormone levels. For awhile I used progesterone cream. This is sufficient for some people. But, early in the pregnancy of my 6th child my levels were so low that it was a miracle I conceived. I had to actually go on sub-lingual bioidentical progesterone. The results were amazing and I truly needed that extra boost. Our hormones fluxuate so much as women, so if we can keep them regulated it is a blessing.
- Consider your stress fight or flight mechanism. Learn about these little organs that do some much work for us and are so necessary. Take an adrenal fatigue test and think about putting yourself on an adrenal rebuilder.
- Exercise. Walking, biking, whatever gets you moving! I am currently doing T-Tapp right now. My particular 15 minute workout is specifically designed for those with chronic fatigue, etc. It is a low impact but highly effective routine that only takes 15 mins.
- Another important supplement would be Magnesium.
- High Quality Omega 3 Oils has also been very successful.
Here are a few more things that some have had success combating depression naturally with:
- Rhodiola was used by those going into space to help them deal with high stress situations.
I hope some of these things are helpful. This is meant to be a springboard to help you do your own research on those things that might be specifically right for you. A word of caution: some of these things cannot be taken while pregnant or breastfeeding so check with your healthcare provider about your specific needs.
And I would be remiss if I did not say…
If you truly struggle with despondency and these natural things do not help…please consider medication.
I went for many, many years fighting the traditional route of the meds. There is such a stigma in our culture regarding this trial. But I ask you….
if our leg can break and we need to go to the Dr to fix it…
if an organ in our body can get sick and we need to take medicine to aid in it’s healing…
can’t our brains become imbalanced and truly need medical help?
Would we tell our neighbor they just needed to pray more and their blood pressure would resume to normal so they would not need high blood pressure meds?
Dear sister, do not be discouraged if you need to take medicine. We live in broken bodies and even our brains are weak and imbalanced, like so much else in our body.
Take your struggles to the Lord and let His grace wash over you. Fear not and do not feel guilty about attending to the needs of your struggling brain as well as the other parts of your body.
I would highly recommend you read the valuable books by David Murray. He is a true doctor of the heart, and his words will bring you back to your loving Savior to find grace through the darkness.
A special cyber hug to each of my dear sisters in the Lord that are silently struggling in the darkness. May we cling to these verses:
“Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness and hath no light. Let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God.” Isaiah 50:10
IMPORTANT ADDENDUM: Since writing this post the Lord has brought me some amazing relief through a supplement routine which I would love to share with you about! I cannot stress how marvelous it is to feel alive inside, have the brain fog cleared and the feelings if despair and failure dissipate! These all natural products are a true gift from God! Email me firstname.lastname@example.org